Fuel cells are devices that produce electricity by a chemical reaction taking place at the electrodes (anode and cathode). Hydrogen is the basic fuel but the fuel cells also require oxygen. They generate electricity with very little pollution; much of the hydrogen and oxygen used in the generating electricity combine to form a harmless byproduct (water). A fuel cell provides a DC voltage that can be used to power motors, lights or any number of electrical appliances. For this field, De Lorenzo provides different trainers. A basic kit, to study the principles and the operation of PEM full cells, is available to be used in physics and chemistry classes as well as in technology classes. Two other trainers, for medium and high levels, can be chosen to study in depth this technology. For the medium level, the Solid Oxide Electrolyser Cell (SOEC) is energized by a solar panel to produce hydrogen and oxygen and the high level’s trainer is supplied with a hydrogen canister (with hydrogen already stored), sensors and PEM fuel cell, of a certain power, to analyze in detail its performance. For the latter trainer and to load the canister, a hydrogen generator is available as an option. These last are also supplied complete with software for data acquisition and processing. They are dedicated to schools, high schools and first years of university according to the level.
This trainer has been designed for the study of fuel cell systems. It teaches their engineering principles and it allows performing a set of experiments for educational purposes.
It is safe and easy to be operated.
Complete with connecting cables, experiment manual and software for data acquisition and processing.
The trainer is very flexible, modular and suitable for the understanding of basic principles as well as more complex technology concepts. It allows performing the following experiments:
• Familiarize yourself with the trainer
• Performance of the PEM Fuel Cell with fixed loads, without DC/DC converter
• Performance of the PEM Fuel Cell with fixed loads, with DC/DC Converter
• Recording of the current/voltage characteristic curve of the PEM Fuel Cell with variable load
• Calculation of the energy efficiency of the PEM Fuel Cell
The trainer includes the following modules:
• 100 W PEM fuel cell. Performance: 14 V at 7.2 A. Consumption of H2: 1.4 l/min. it includes the electronic controller.
• 225 Nl aluminum storage canister
• DC/DC converter, output 12 V, 8 A
• Load, with one halogen lamp, 12 V, 50 W, and one LED lamp, 12 V, 3 x 1 W
• Variable logarithmic rheostat, 1.5 Ohm ÷ 17 Ohm, 100 W, Imax = 8 A
• Instruments module, containing 4 multifunction meters and 4 LCD displays
Average training hours: 8h.
Approx. packing dimensions: 1.21 x 0.62 x 0.82 m.
Net weight: 35 kg.
DL HYGEN: Hydrogen generator, for filling the hydride storage canister
Trainer for the theoretical‐practical study of the hydrogen based fuel cells energy.
Complete with connecting cables, experiment manual and software for data acquisition and display.(compatible only with windows 7)
• Study of a fuel cell stack up to ten cells
• Producing and storing hydrogen
• Determining characteristic curve of solar panel
• Voltage controlled automatic measurements
• Determining characteristic curve of electrolyser
• Learning about Faraday’s laws
• Determining characteristic curves of fuel cell
• Determining fuel cell efficiency
• Determining decomposition voltage of water
• Long‐term measurements at your own PC
• Fixing the output at different operating points of the fuel cell stack
• Monitoring single cell stack voltages at your PC
• Power‐controlled automatic measurements
The trainer includes: PEM fuel cell stack 10 (ten cells), electrolyser, power supply, fuel cell monitor software, hydrogen storage tank, electric load (lamp), fan, solar module and 2 modules with lamps for the solar panel.
• Electrolyser: 15 W
• Fuel cell
• Power per cell: 200 mW
• Power (10 cells): 2 W
• Solar module: 4 V / 3,3 A
• Gas storage: 80 cm3
• Lamp: 4.4 W
• Power supply: 6 Vdc / 3 A
• Monitoring software
The following accessories are also included: water bottle (with distilled water), protective goggles, silicone tubing, textbook.
Average training hours: 5h
Approx. packing dimensions: 1.03 x 0.50 x 0.97 m.
Net weight: 35 kg.
This kit allows studying the principles and the operation of solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC) and proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cells. It can be used in physics and chemistry classes as well as in technology classes.
With the electrical loads (like a motor or a lamp) clear and practical experiments are possible.
High‐quality, didactic manuals complete this product.
• Characteristics and operation of an electrolyser, of a PEM‐Fuel cell, of a SOFC‐Fuel cell,
• Faraday and energy efficiency of the electrolyser and of the PEM‐fuel cell.
• Understanding the physical principles of electrolysis and fuel cells
• Basic quantitative experiments with reversible fuel cells
• High‐quality, didactic manuals
A base, a SOFC‐Fuel cell module, a PEM‐Fuel cell module, an electrolyser module, a potentiometer module, a motor module, a solar module, a gas storage module, a gas burner, a propeller.
Complete with CD with manual.
2 multimeters, a power supply, a lamp, test leads.